Shaver: Claude Shaver

Former Chief of Police in Cornwall, Ontario.

Born in Montreal in 1942.  When aged family moved to Cornwall.  Served as an altar boy at St. Columban’s Roman Catholic Church.

Joined RCMP when he was age 20. Took the equivalent of his basic training on Ottawa, Ontario.  He spent close to five years in Saskatchewan (early 1963 to April 1967) serving in Lumsden, Regina, Avonlea, Fort Qu’Appelle.

In 1967 he was transferred to Montreal Quebec.

After Shaver became Chief of Police in Cornwall Ontario he hired Joseph St. Denis as his deputy.  Although St. Denis was training in Regina in 1963 when Shaver was there, Shaver testified that he met St. Denis in Montreal.

I knew him; I knew him by first name. The — that would be it. I did not – we weren’t — we weren’t — we didn’t socialize. We weren’t – – we weren’t friends. He had friends in the Drug section and I lived in Montréal at one point with a guy who was working in Drugs and they were very close friends; he and Joe were very close friends.

Client of Colin McKinnon while McKinnon was a lawyer.

Chalue Shaver took an early retirement around the time the Cornwall scandal first gave hint of seeping into the public domain.

At the time Shaver of the announcement made the following public statements about his departure from the workforce: “There was no single issue that precipitated my early retirement, but a combination of events both professional and personal, over the past several years, led me to make this important decision.” “I have examined my position and having considered the extreme stressors of my office, I believe my life would be more enriched to consider early retirement. I have been lecturing on the subject of coping with stress for many years and, without practicing the teachings, I believe my health would have been drastically affected.” “I am particularly pleased with my time spent working with children and serving on boards that have dealt with children. I have a real fondness in my heart for children.”

A number of “alleged” victims allege they saw Shaver at the home and in the company of the now deceased probation officer and “alleged” paedophile Ken Seguin. Testimony to that effect has been given and entered into evidence at the Cornwall Public Inquiry. According to legal counsel for the Cornwall Police Serivce Shaver denies ever being at Seguin’s home.

Shaver has been working with MobileTec in Tampa Bay, Florida for a number of years. He is now President/CEO.

As of April 2007 it was discovered that the following link posted here to the MobileTec website with information on Claude Shaver is now a dead link


The following links have therefore been added. It is understood that as of spring 2007 Claude Shaver was still with the company.

2003 Claude Shaver CEO MobileTec

2004 Claude Shaver bio CEO MobileTec

08 December 2004 Claude Shaver President MobileTec

2005: Claude Shaver President/CEO MobileTec

July 2001: Golfing in Tampa Bay?


13 December 1996: Carole Hesse statement

Gerry Renshaw

Bobby Renshaw

Ron Leroux

Who’s on or off “The List”?



 27 January 2009:  BLOG  Coincidences

22 March 2007:  Crumbs from the table

07 April 2007:  Questions

21 June 2007: Cheap, base, disgusting and vile

22 June 2007:  Truth and justice don’t stand a chance

10 June 2008:  There he is again

11 June 2008:  Garbage

12 June 2008:  Interesting

13 June 2008:  The covert website

14 January 2008:  A fairy tale

14 June 2008:  Things don’t sound good

24 June 2008:  Painful   

15 September 2008:  The greatest Cornwallite past

10 December 2008:  What’s the agenda?

22 January 2009:  Why the silence?

27 January 2009: Coincidences



26 August 2008Priest admitted he engaged in homosexual acts, says LaRocque


Priest admitted to gay ‘incident,’ not sex assault

Ex-chief disputes interpretation of his notes at Cornwall inquiry

The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Neco Cockburn

CORNWALL – After an alleged sexual abuse victim made a $32,000 settlement with religious officials and agreed to withdraw a criminal complaint, Cornwall’s police chief says he took the matter to a bishop who told him the accused priest admitted to a sexual incident and would be sent away for treatment.

What former chief Claude Shaver jotted down after that discussion in October 1993 became a sticking point in a public inquiry yesterday, with lead commission counsel Peter Engelmann grilling Mr. Shaver on the issue.

The former police chief was adamant his note, “Charlie admits,” described what the bishop said — that Rev. Charles MacDonald had admitted to having a same-sex encounter, not that he had assaulted the alleged victim, David Silmser.

“I’m a police officer. If the bishop would have admitted Father Charlie had committed an assault, I would have reopened that case immediately,” he said.

Mr. Shaver said the bishop was shaken and flustered during their conversation. The bishop at first used the word “assault” when referring to the subject of the priest’s admission, before changing to say that “Father Charlie had admitted to a homosexual isolated incident,” Mr. Shaver said.

Mr. Silmser’s story hit the media within about three months of the conversation and touched off a sex scandal in the city that helped to spark the Ontario Provincial Police Project Truth investigation and, eventually, the ongoing public inquiry into the institutional response to allegations of systemic historical sexual abuse.

OPP charged Father MacDonald in the 1990s with allegations related to sexual abuse involving boys, but the charges were stayed in 2002 after a judge decided Crown delays breached his right to a timely trial.

Mr. Shaver testified that he had considered the Silmser settlement to be an end-run around the police department and took news of the settlement to the Children’s Aid Society, only to find that it already knew about the case through Perry Dunlop, a Cornwall police officer who had not been assigned to the investigation.

“That shouldn’t happen. He’s not the officer responsible for the file. He has no right to bring that file out of the police department without coming through the proper channels,” Mr. Shaver said yesterday.

After meeting with a children’s aid official, Mr. Shaver took the matter up with the church, visiting Archbishop Carlo Curis, who referred him to Bishop Eugene LaRocque, he said.

The bishop said Father MacDonald denied the allegations, Mr. Shaver testified, and Bishop LaRocque was reluctant to enter into a monetary settlement with Mr. Silmser, he said. Father MacDonald had put up $10,000 of the money because “it was better than his reputation being soiled in the community,” Mr. Shaver said the bishop told him.

Mr. Shaver recalled saying the church had tied the police force’s hands and “this is going to come back and bite us both right in the butt.” The bishop seemed shaken when he told him there were two other complainants, Mr. Shaver said.

Bishop LaRocque agreed to speak to Father MacDonald and phoned Mr. Shaver that evening, saying “Charlie admits,” before discussing the actions that would be taken and apologizing, according to the former police chief’s testimony and notes. The bishop said Father MacDonald would be sent to a treatment centre for priests to be assessed, Mr. Shaver said.

That was a step the bishop had agreed to take if Father MacDonald admitted to assaulting Mr. Silmser, the inquiry had already heard.

In other testimony yesterday, Mr. Shaver delivered an impact statement that railed against “innuendo, rumours (and) outright lies” that have circulated as a result of the allegations of historical sexual abuse, saying his name has appeared on websites linking him to an alleged pedophile clan.

Mr. Shaver, who broke down while reading his comments, said statements that linked people, including him, to an alleged clan, “were not taken to actively seek prosecution of alleged pedophiles, but were simply to bolster a civil case by Perry Dunlop.”

The statements, “under the direct control of Dunlop and his lawyer,” were not protected and were released to media and online, “which cast aspersions on a great many innocent people in this community,” Mr. Shaver said.

Mr. Dunlop has refused to testify at the inquiry and has told media he lost faith in the judicial system. He was sentenced in March to at least six months in jail for cntempt of court.